Friday 18 November 2011

Over half way! Week 18 Update

Hi guys, we are updating our blog live today from Foote Ward at Buller Hospital. We are into the 18th week now and technically over half way, as it is highly likely that our baby will be born by Caesarean section between 32 and 34 weeks.

This is treatment number #6 and today I have had a bit of a slow start unfortunatley - I didnt get 'plugged in' until 10.45am, meaning I probably wont leave till around 10.30pm tonight, which sux - but I just need to keep chugging along. But at least it wont be as bad as last week! We had a big hiccup and I didnt leave the ward until well after midnight. It made for a very long, tiring and sick weekend but come Monday I was starting to feel better again.
The side effects of the treatment are vomiting, nausea, blurred visions and headaches... ALOT of headaches. I wish I could say I have been lucky enough to avoid these, but I haven't. Last Saturday I actually felt like I had been run over by a truck. I couldn't stay awake, had constant headaches all day and could hardly eat . It wasnt nice.

Foote Ward have been excellent during my treatments, especially my nurse Gincey. It has been great to have the same nurse pretty much every week. Gincey is great - she knows how to have a laugh and is now pretty much on first name basis with all my regular visitors, and she loves seeing Tessa Roo every week.
Luke has done well in impersonating a Doctor when he can get here. He keeps a little medical note book and writes down important (and sometimes not so important) pieces of information. He even charts my weight! Rude...lol. I think we will both be medical experts in some aspects once this is all over!
One aspect of Foote Ward that isnt so great is the lack of Gourmet Fare coming from the hospital kitchen! Today for lunch, for the third time, I had 1 cold saveloy and some cold potato flakes that somewhat resembled mash! Luckily I have people that can whip down the street and grab me something yummy.

Next week we are off to Christchurch to see Jim, and have an anatomy scan, more tests and we are going to find out the sex of the baby. Very exciting! So we will keep you updated on that.

Talk Soon
xxx
The McKoozers



Pics:  Immunoglobin (I go through 7 of these bottles in one day of treatment) and me and Gincey :)

No comments:

Post a Comment